Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What I Choose to Remember

I can choose what I remember and how I wish to remember it.

Everyone I know can choose what they remember and how they wish to remember it.

Everyone I don’t even know all over the planet, can choose what they remember and how they remember it.

---------------

As the holidays come around, it seems that many people are making plans based on the memories they have or want to provide for the next generation.

If you have memories which were painful, I have found a different way to approach such occasions.

You see, I am rebuilding my life, including holidays.

For occasions that I found myself remembering according to stories I had been told, I added a new twist.

For occasions which require certain elements in order to proceed, I replace them with different elements and proceed differently.

It has given me an independence from getting caught in the undertow of emotions when traditional holidays come around.

It is still a tremendous pull, but given the alternatives, it has proven worth it to use all the tools and techniques I have to resist it and move myself in a direction which is positive for me.

It is tremendously freeing to identify the elements which work for me and to continue doing them regardless of the date.

That way I keep myself honest and happy.

I discard depression and anxiety and its old life, including its holiday traditions.


© 2013 Kathryn Hardage

No comments:

Post a Comment